Naval Architect Eirini Trivyza has been named Maritime Professional of the Year at the Maritime UK Awards 2020.
Celebrating her win Ms Trivyza said: 'I'm overwhelmed! It is fantastic to be nominated alongside such great candidates and I’m delighted to win. Through my work at Babcock and UKNEST, I'm really excited to engage and enthuse the next generation of engineers as well as taking on some truly exciting projects. I've used my platform to share my story and am proud to help inspire future industry talent.'
The Maritime Professional of the Year Award is sponsored by Nautilus International with the aim of raising the profile of maritime professionals at sea and on shore.
This year's ceremony, the second in its history, was hosted by British sailor Dee Caffari and broadcast from The Box, a new museum, art gallery and cultural hub in Portsmouth.
Maritime UK's patron, HRH The Princess Royal addressed the event via pre-recorded video.
She gave thanks to maritime keyworkers for the critical role they have played during the Coronavirus pandemic. 'Britain is a maritime sector, and its maritime sector is central to national life and prosperity. While the rest of us were largely indoors, you had to go to work to keep Britain supplied. Whether working on ships or in ports to keep supplies flowing. Just as we celebrate our NHS workers, so too we should celebrate our maritime workers.'
The event was well-attended by government, with Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps MP, Minister for Maritime Robert Courts MP, Exports Minister Graham Stuart MP and Shadow Environment Secretary and local Plymouth MP Luke Pollard all recording messages of support.
The 2021 Maritime UK Awards will move to Glasgow, recognising to the city’s shipbuilding heritage and contemporary role in driving the sector forward, including in world-class training and advanced manufacturing. The awards are held in a different maritime region every year.
A recording of the live event can be viewed here.
2020 Maritime UK Award winners:
• Diversity Award sponsored by Chevron: STEM Returners
• Employer of the Year Award sponsored by Bachmann Group: Actisense
• Innovation Award sponsored by UK Ship Register: Tanki
• Business of the Year Award sponsored by University of Plymouth: Port of Cromarty Firth
• Maritime Professional of the Year Award sponsored by Nautilus International: Eirini Trivyza, Babcock International
• STEM Award sponsored by UKNEST: Princess Yachts
• Future Skills Award sponsored by MLA College: Solent LEP
• Coastal Powerhouse Award sponsored by Thales UK: Port of Cromarty Firth
• Maritime 2050 Award sponsored by the Department for Transport:Artemis Technologies
• Clean Maritime Innovator Award sponsored by Artemis Technologies: BabcockInternational
• Clean Maritime Enabler Award supported by the Department for International Trade: Portof Tyne
• Clean Maritime Operator Award sponsored by the Royal Navy: Port of Tyne
• International Trade Award sponsored by Western Union: VIRSEC (formerly Virtual TrainingCentre)
• Start-up of the Year Award sponsored by Norton Rose Fulbright: Tapiit Live