Professional Technical Legal Assistant
Nautilus International is a trade union and professional association representing the interests of over 20,000 maritime professionals. Our core operations are based in the UK, the Netherlands, and Switzerland with satellite offices also in France and Singapore. We are a silver Investor in People with our Head Office situated on the banks of the River Mersey.
We are looking for an assistant to join our Professional, Technical and Legal Cluster, based out of our London Office (or Merseyside with frequent travel to central London); to support the core cluster activities and enhance our national and international outreach within bipartite and tripartite structures.
The successful candidate will assist in representing Nautilus at IMO, ILO, MNTB and various Government meetings; as well as provide guidance and support for members and internal stakeholders on Professional, Technical and Legal matters.
The successful candidate will also have responsibility for:
- Assisting in representing Nautilus at a wide range of organisations, covering all aspects of professional and technical and legal nature relevant to members.
- Assisting in the co-ordination of Nautilus responses to consultations in Protech and Legal areas and where appropriate, draft responses.
- Assisting in project work and, in particular, project work related to Nautilus strategic plan and objectives.
- To provide assistance to members that may have a variety of occupational health and safety issues as well as legal issues (dependent on experience and qualifications).
- Assisting in maintaining and developing contact with a range of organisations including classification societies, underwriters, professional institutes etc. and using those contacts to the benefit of Nautilus members.
- Assisting in the organising and running of Protech/Legal committees, meetings and events.
- Assisting in the preparation of reports, publications, newsletters and any other documentation as required.
- Assisting and advising members with queries of a Protech/Legal nature in accordance with qualification and experience level.
- Perform any other duties which may, from time to time, be reasonably required
We believe the right candidate must have recent relevant sea-service experience or relevant education and think a newly qualified officer or graduate would be particularly suitable. A good understanding of UK Maritime Education and Training is essential, a good understanding of the maritime regulatory regime at the national and international levels is desirable.
Most important is an affinity with Nautilus’ values, excellent verbal and written communications skills and an ability to positively engage and influence across formal and informal networks. This role would be ideal for a natural problem solver, who is capable of complex analysis, interpretation, and dissemination through the lens of developing and existing policy.
To apply for this role, please email a copy of your CV (no more than 3 sides of A4) and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to Amanda McGovern (Personal Assistant) – AMcGovern@Nautilusint.org - with 'Application – PROTECH/LEGAL Assistant' in the subject line.
Salary (excluding any applicable London Weighting) starts at £28,080 and rises to £32,877 over four annual increments.
The closing date for applications is 12:00 on 02 September 2022.