Role title: ITF Inspector
Salary: £39,855 - £42,346 per annum rising to £49,819pa after 12 months following satisfactory review
Location: Aberdeen, covering Scotland
Frequent travel within the UK will be required. Further international travel may also be required. Applicants living elsewhere in Scotland are encouraged to apply, as some discretion will be available to the right candidates.
Nautilus International is the first truly international Trade Union and professional association for maritime professionals both at sea and ashore.
Working for Nautilus comes with up to 31 days annual leave (excluding Bank Holidays), entry into an industry leading DC pension scheme, access to benefits through Nautilus Plus and much more – including a union-provided vehicle for this role. We are a Silver award holder for Investors in People.
We work hard on behalf of those we represent through undertaking representative activities on behalf of a diverse membership demography, with core activities focussed in Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
This permanent, full-time role will see you appointed by Nautilus International to the International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF) as an ITF Inspector, promoting the goals and objectives of the Flags of Convenience (FOC), Ports of Convenience (POC) and other campaigns as determined by the ITF Fair Practices Committee (FPC).
The 24/7/365 nature of seafaring means that the role may need to be performed outside of 'ordinary' office hours. This is reflected in the quoted salary.
You will initially be expected to work out of your own home in the respective area. As part of this unique role, frequent travel within the UK will be required, for which you will need a full UK driving licence. Further international travel may also be required.
- Conduct inspections of FOC vessels in relation to crew employment conditions and related matters
- Provide advice and other support and assistance to seafarers, representing them where required to ship owners/managers/employers
- Encourage the application of ITF approved collective bargaining agreements on FOC vessels, monitoring compliance with them when they are in place
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Participate in FOC, POC and other campaign activities as required
- Promote the application of international standards, including the Maritime Labour Convention, other International Labour Organization standards and IMO instruments
- Educate seafarers and other maritime professionals about the benefits of trade unions
- Produce activity reports and other information as may be required.
- Any other duties the employer may request in agreement with ITF
- Operational experience in a trade union capacity
- Sound knowledge of the maritime industry
- Excellent relationship development and maintenance skills
- Discretion, diplomacy, judgment and initiative
- Leadership, motivation, negotiation and consultative skills
- Good analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- Good IT skills, including the use of CRM/databases and Microsoft 365.
Any enquiries about the role should be directed to Danny McGowan (Head of International Relations) by email: email@example.com.
Applicants should send their CV (no more than 3 sides A4) and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides A4) to Heather Wood (HR Manager) by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close at 17:00 BST on 22 September 2023. The recruitment process will consist of an initial paper sift, followed by an interview with Nautilus International. Successful first-stage interviewees will then be invited to attend a second interview conducted by the ITF.