MASTER – RoPax ferries New Zealand
StraitNZ is a unique, nationwide end-to-end transport service, connecting New Zealand across both road and sea. Our fleet of 2 ships and over 200 trucks is supported by a nationwide network of 10 depots and a 450+ strong team to deliver hundreds of thousands of tonnes of freight (and passengers) weekly.
We operate New Zealand flagged roll-on roll-off (RoPax) passenger ferries on the 54 NM Cook Strait route between the North and South Islands of New Zealand under the Bluebridge brand. A rare opportunity is available for an experienced Master to join the team.
About the role
In this key role, you will assume full responsibility for the day to day operations of the ship. As the Master, you have the authority to control the ship, and make sound decisions that will ensure the safety of all passengers, crew, and cargo onboard.
With your technical expertise, maritime leadership, and experience, you will be responsible for ensuring your crew comply with the SMS, and all relevant legal requirements, regulations under maritime rules.
You will need to hold a Pilotage Exemption Certificates, and while on your watch, you are expected to conduct pilotages and berth the vessel.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake training over a period of several months to allow the satisfactorily completion of the companies PEC holder structured training programme. On completion of the training, you will be required to demonstrate competence in ship handling, navigation of the operating routes and successfully pass examination for Pilotage Exemption Certification for both Wellington and the Marlborough Sounds.
What are we looking for?
To be successful in the role, you need to:
- have proven command and ship handling experience on Ro-pax vessels.
- hold a current STCW II/2 Unlimited Masters certificate of competency issued in New Zealand or issued by a state which is eligible for a NZ CEC/certificate of recognition
- hold or have held Pilotage Exemption Certificates
- have proven experience working with - and contributing to - Safety & Quality Management Systems
- have proven track record of positively contributing to a safety culture• have proven experience working with Vessel Maintenance Systems
- be committed to continuous improvement
- be able to communicate fluently in English
- be excited about living and working in New Zealand
StraitNZ will assist successful candidates obtaining required visas to live and work in New Zealand.
Please note, as part of our recruitment process you must satisfy a pre-employment medical, COVID-19 vaccination requirements, drug test and a Ministry of Justice check to be considered for this position.