An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Marine Pilot with the Port of Milford Haven.
We are a leading UK shipping gateway handling liquid, bulk, break bulk and heavy lift cargoes. Known as the UK's largest energy port, we are capable of delivering 30% of the UK gas demand and we welcome some of the largest vessels (LNG) in the world.
As a Marine Pilot you will have the conduct of vessels to ensure the safe movement from sea, berth and anchorage. This will include facilitating the completion of the vessel’s passage plan; liaising with Master, Port Control and other users and acting as the Port’s representative on board in the
event of an emergency. You will start as a Trainee Pilot and progress through levels of authorisation up to a Class 1 Pilot, which ordinarily takes five and a half years.
And you'd be joining at an exciting time. We are investing across our Marine Services operations while creating new opportunities in cargoes, energy and hospitality. It’s part of our drive to Build the Haven’s prosperity.
You'll play an active role in helping us achieve our goals by maintaining the safe and timely passage of vessels visiting the Milford Haven Waterway.
In return, you can expect a rewarding career, excellent training, and a competitive salary. You’ll be based on the Milford Haven Waterway with travel involved. And, in terms of Pembrokeshire becoming your new home, you can be assured of a warm welcome.
- To conduct the safe movement of vessels from sea, berth and anchorage in accordance with appropriate procedures.
- To facilitate completion of the vessel's passage plan using the Master/Pilot Exchange Information form and return to the Authority immediately following completion of an act.
- To plan and discuss acts of pilotage with the Master, Agents, Port Control, Harbourmaster(s) and other pilots as required.
- To maintain communication with Port Control and other users of the Haven whilst conducting an act of pilotage.
- To board and land from vessels by pilot cutter, and from the shore as appropriate.
- To act as the Authority’s representative on board in the event of an emergency.
- To wear the appropriate personal protective equipment and clothing provided by the Authority.
- To embark and disembark from vessels at ports other than Milford Haven when required in the interests of the efficiency of the port.
To co operate fully with any relevant investigation into incidents involving safety.
- To attend and participate at meetings or sit on committees that are relevant to pilotage matters.
- To undertake relevant training as required by the Authority.
- To assist with the training of new entrants and advise on their progress, ultimately to unrestricted pilot.
- To carry out any other duties during periods when rostered to work as may be required by and agreed with the Harbourmaster.
ESSENTIAL:Recent experience in a seagoing and/ or pilotage role.
Must speak English clearly and fluently.
Ability to direct actions in a calm manner at all times, particularly in contingency situations.
Master Class 1 Foreign Going Certificate held for at least 2 years
Ship handling experience
Seagoing experience at Senior Officer level.
Knowledge of Milford Haven waterway.
Relevant port related/ nautical knowledge.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS & TERMS
• This position requires the post holder to successfully complete an ENG1 equivalent Medical.
• Industry leading competitive salary
• Directly employed by Milford Haven Port Authority
•Company Pension scheme
•Income Protection scheme