Full Time Marine Engineer
Portland Harbour Authority operate a fleet of 3 ASD harbour tugs, two pilot vessels and a number of smaller craft on a 24/7 basis. The Harbour Authority is now looking to recruit an additional full-time Marine Engineer to work within the Marine Department.
Reporting to the Managing Engineer (Marine), you will be required to carry out maintenance on all the company vessels and act as engineer on harbour towage duties. Working as part of a small team, you will be required to join a rota system where a call out system is operated. This involves weekend, bank holiday and night working when required. When not undertaking marine engineering duties, you will assist in carrying out general marine maintenance tasks.
Additional duties and responsibilities:
- Carrying out the functional duties of Marine Engineer during harbour towage evolutions as directed by the Tug Master.
- Supervising all contractors, permanent and casual crew as required by the Managing Engineer (Marine).
- Performing all duties, tasks, and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner.
- Adhering to relevant Health and Safety legislation
- Keeping accurate records of bunkers, fuel and lubrication oil stocks including spares consumed.
- Raising and reporting any defect and requisitions in a timely manner to the Managing Engineer (Marine).
- Ensuring that all floating craft remain in service at all times unless otherwise authorised by the Managing Engineer (Marine).
- Completing planned maintenance as directed by the Managing Engineer (Marine)
- Ensuring that all floating craft operations logbooks are filled in and signed for each operation and running hours totalled up monthly.
To be considered for the role, you will hold a minimum of STCW III/1 Marine Engineering EOOW qualification and ideally reside within 30 minutes travelling time from the port.
You should have a thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of marine machinery and electrical systems. Proven experience with small marine diesels and outboards would also be advantageous.
Dependent on experience and qualifications.
40hrs per week, Monday to Friday.
On call shifts, currently week on week off including nights, bank holiday and weekends for which lieu hours will be accrued.
On call week runs from 0800 Monday to 0800 following Monday.
CLOSING DATE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY 26 AUGUST 2022