Head of Maritime
The European Transport Workers’ Federation (ETF) is a pan-European trade union federation representing more than 5 million transport workers from more than 230 transport unions in 41 European countries in railways, road transport and logistics, maritime transport, inland waterways, civil aviation, ports & docks, tourism and fisheries.
We are currently seeking to recruit a Head of Maritime.
We are ready to offer a permanent job with an attractive salary package which will be paid 13.92 times a year. Extra-legal advantages include lunch vouchers of €7, hospitalisation insurance and a complementary pension scheme. In line with our commitment to support public transport as part of our #FairTransport campaign, we also offer full coverage of public transport for daily commuting.
A detailed job description is below.
We invite any interested candidate to send a CV and a short motivation letter in English to Josef Maurer, ETF Head of Operations, at email@example.com by Friday 8 July 2022. Only applications sent by e-mail will be considered.
JOB TITLE: Head of Maritime
REPORTING TO: General Secretary
DIRECT REPORTS: Policy officer for Dockers
Policy officer for Fisheries
Policy officer for Inland Waterways
Policy officer for Maritime Transport
TYPE OF POSITION: full-time, permanent contract
The ETF is a trade union federation representing 5 million transport workers from 200 unions in 40 European countries. The vision of Fair Transport is what drives the work of the ETF. It represents a future where European transport is free of social dumping, with quality jobs for transport workers, safe, reliable and affordable service for passengers and customers and where environmental and social sustainability go hand in hand. We are looking for candidates that are ready to fight for achieving this vision.
- Leading the activities of the Maritime Department including Dockers, Fisheries, Inland Waterways and Maritime Transport
- Defining objectives and strategies for the ETF work in all maritime sectors, together with the ETF affiliates and the maritime team
- Line managing and guiding politically the maritime team
- Ensuring implementation of the work programme adopted by the ETF Congress and Sections
- Ensuring cooperation, political coordination and coherence among the maritime sections
- Representing the ETF on maritime related issues in external bodies and events
- Leading internal and external meetings with large and diverse audience
Ensuring permanent liaison and coordination with the ITF Maritime Coordinator
- Advocating for ETF priorities towards the European and international institutions
- Establishing and keeping contacts and alliances with policy makers and relevant stakeholders
- Supporting the General Secretary as part of the management team, including the work on horizontal issues beyond maritime, as required
Seeking strategic alliances with other organisations having common interests
- Supervising campaigns related to maritime transport
- Managing the communications of the Maritime department
- Managing the budget of the Maritime Department
We are looking for a candidate with
● Strong commitment to trade union values
● Graduate level education or equivalent experience
● Minimum experience of 10 years in trade unions at national or European level
● Knowledge of transport and in particular of the maritime sectors is a strong asset
● Minimum experience of 5 years in managing people
● Fluent in English (written and spoken), any other European language is an asset
● Leadership skills, capability to lead, coach and motivate a team towards complex
● Excellent communication and networking skills
● Capability to identify political priorities and translate them into political actions and
● Capability to react flexibly and proactively to new challenges
● Able to work independently but also to cooperate with other members of the
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
● Knowledge of the political processes and functioning of the EU is a strong asset
● Good knowledge of Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
● Availability to travel regularly
● A full-time permanent contract with a competitive package (salary, fringe benefits and
extra-legal paid leave)
● A multidisciplinary, multicultural and dynamic working environment
● Involvement in a variety of campaigns, projects and initiatives
Equal employment opportunity
ETF is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job. Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicants’ merits and abilities.