Job Title Dockhead Supervisor
Responsibility for the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the harbour’s Pilot Boats, Dockhead Infrastructure, Lock Operating System, and Lock Gates.
The successful candidate will be working in a busy port environment as part of a wider team and report to the Port Manager. They will provide the first point of responsibility for Dockhead Operations and oversee and instruct a small team of operatives.
- Ensure compliance with the Port Marine Safety Code and the Company’s Quality System.
- Oversee and carry out the safe and effective operation of the lock, dock gates and operating system.
- To follow Risk Assessments & Safe Systems of Work.
- Liaising with the marine Pilots in terms of shipping and operational requirements of the tide.
- Maintenance and upkeep of the harbour’s two pilot boats including annual surveys, inspections & compliance with the small commercial vessel code of practice.
- Mooring of any vessels visiting the harbour.
- Oversee the maintenance of dock infrastructure including inspection and upkeep of ladders, lifebuoys, fendering, bollards and navigational aids.
- Overseeing the maintenance of the dock gate operating system
- Procurement of PPE, chandlery, ropes, chains, shackles, and workshop consumables.
- Pilot Boat Operation – Minimum requirement for pilot boat duties is RYA advanced power boat certificate or an MCA boat masters licence. Training can be provided.
Hours of Work
48-hour basic working week which will include weekend work
Periods of 4 hours over each high water.
Minimum Qualification Preferably educated to marine engineer apprenticeship
Leave 25 days per annum
Salary A competitive salary accompanies the post and will reflect experience / qualification.